MOTORS, CONTROLLERS, AND OTHER COMPONENTS TO BUILD YOUR DREAM
ZEV offers to manufacturers and home builders our already developed and matched components from motors and controllers to brakes, fork legs, shocks, BMS, battery, and everything in between.
We offer hub motors (also called wheel motors) in single stator in power to 15 kw with matching controllers to 84 volt nominal in already developed and tested packages. (We can offer higher power for higher voltage systems to 21 kw in single stator in any of our five rim sizes, or up to 50 kw on request)
Motors are offered in:
- 10 inch rim scooter size
- 13 and 14 inch rim scooter size
- Wire spoke rim motor assemblies (36 spoke)
- 16 and 17 inch motorcycle style wheels.
- ZEV hub motors save a lot of vehicle weight by integrating components into one piece. As a reference point, compare to the 2015 latest version of the ZERO SR motor quoted by ZERO on Dec 9, 2015 as being 38 lbs. To put that power power to the ground, requires a wheel, belt drive, sprockets, and bolts for motor installation. The rear wheel alone for a non hub motor will weigh in the range of 18 lbs for a good forged wheel. All the parts required for a non hub motor installation will push the weight to roughly 62-70 lbs, compared to the all up weight of the ZEV with all hardware at 42 lbs. Using a hub motor saves at least 30% in vehicle component weight compared to a belt/chain drive in chassis motor installation.
- ZEV hub motors have no practical rpm limitations compared to standard shaft turning motors. All of the heavy parts are in the center of the motor and do not turn. Only the magnets are in the turning wheel and rpm just increases forces that hold them in place. We do not risk motor explosion from rpm.
- ZEV hub motor inertia weight is far less than the heavy stator turning mass of a conventional shaft turning motor, chain and sprockets for quicker response. When the hub motor launches, it is only turning the wheel weight, no motor or drive components are included at all. The wheel weight is similar to the wheel weight of a belt/chain drive wheel only. That is for a 40 lb hub motor, only the rim and the side plates weight have to accelerate. A total of 15.8 lbs (7.2) kg weighing less than a forged conventional wheel alone. So the reaction time is extremely rapid for the ZEV. To compare, in a 38 lb belt/chain drive motor, approximately 23 lbs in the rotor has to accelerate + the drive chain + the rear wheel 18 lbs. Roughly 3 times the mass of the ZEV mass has to begin to turn in a non hub motor.
- ZEV hub motors make their peak torque at 0 to 70 rpm. As a reference point, Compare to a ZERO SR motor stated by ZERO as reaching peak torque at 3000 rpm or against other shaft turning motors used in electric motorcycle and scooter construction.
- The time it takes at equal amps to reach peak torque rpm is radically less for the ZEV hub motor making them quick off the line. Jumping from 0 to 70 rpm is naturally going to take less time than jumping to 3000 rpm. The extremely low system inertia weight helps greatly.
- ZEV hub motors make far more torque per amp than conventional shaft turning motors. Compared to a ZERO SR motor at max amperage setting at the tire contact to the ground, after taking into account all of the drive factors for both motors, the ZEV makes the same torque as the ZERO on less than 1/2 the amp draw. Or it can make more torque at equal amps. Its this efficiency with amp draw that makes the ZEV vehicle range so great on a given battery size.
- ZEV hub motors run colder at given amps than conventional shaft turning motors. The spinning motor acts as a forced cooling fan in combination with the speed of the vehicle air blast scrubbing the fins and surface of the motor. The spinning of the motor also pumps the cooling oil through the motor. Additionally, the wheel and rim act as additional heat shedding surfaces for more surface area.
- By keeping the motor and magnets cool and running the best grade of Neo magnets, ZEV does not experience loss of magnetic force from magnet heating more than 1% over 10 year testing.
- ZEV uses special wire winding insulation varnish that has demonstrated ability to withstand 180 degree C temperatures. Competitors varnish may fail as low as 120 degrees.
- By putting the motor in the wheel, all of that space that would be occupied by a belt/chain drive motor is made available to either add more battery for more power or range, or to lower the CG.
- With the motor in the wheel, there are no limitations on the geometry of the vehicle forced by the issues of lining up the drive of the in chassis motor with the movement of the suspension and the changes in chain/belt tension. This allows much longer swing arms, lowering of the battery mass, and the positive change in the dynamics of the rear suspension.
- Component speeds are far less on the hub motor for longer life. Consider that even on the 13 inch diameter scooter wheel, with a low profile 60 series sidewall, the motor is only turning 1067 in a mile, or 1067 rpm at 60 mph. It is far less on the larger sizes such as the 17 inch wheel.
- The motor/controller efficiency is very high. In terms of power and range we excel. At the UCI Energy International, the team running our motor/controllers stated "The fact we are using only 70% of our allowed power and crushing the competition tells me we are on the right track. For the race of 4 heats, We are allowed $1 worth of electricity from the wall (5.88 Kw) that's 1.47 Kw per heat. Came in after the first heat and we had used 1,076.2 watts. Second heat same thing. We used 1,116 watts. leaving 747 watts left on the track --While not just getting endurance--"We were the best on the track lapping everyone".T Nusbickel, CHS
- At the 2016 Vetter Challenge, ZEV competed in the 130 mile even with a dead stock LRC against ZERO with 30% larger battery and streamlining and against custom built from scratch streamliners. In terms of energy efficiency, ZEV beat all of the competitors except one streamliner, with ZEV total efficiency only 3% less than the purpose built streamliner. While the streamlining helps energy efficiency greatly, as the race administrator said, it is now apparent that drive train efficiency is the dominant factor.
Motors for single side swing arm installations, or auto style mounts are also available as limited production items.
Our standard controllers feature 3 speed electronic transmissions that allow the user to vary both amps and volts, and to minimize power consumption for range. We offer reverse gear in the controllers as an option. (our controllers are not in the field programmable by the end user).
Contact us today for a discussion on how to best fill your component needs.